HELLO

December 2, 2011

Going Dairy-Free



Milk does a body good? In my case, not so much. Over the last couple years I have become lactose intolerant. Quite the sad truth. Growing up on whole milk has caught up with me and I no longer can indulge as before. How I wish I could enjoy a huge dollop of freshly whipped cream or a mountain high ice cream sundae or lots of delicious cheese...So what is there to do about the matter? First of all, there is a difference between a dairy allergy and lactose intolerance. You might want to go to the doctor to determine which one you think you are. Thank goodness that now there are several dairy alternatives. Yay! If you're in the same boat as I am, I hope I can be of some help.

As far as milk alternatives go there are almond, soy, rice and coconut milks (among lactose-free milk like Lactaid) that are simply delicious. Substitute any of these milk alternatives in anything you'd normally add milk to. If you love yogurt you'll love kefir. Lifeway's kefir probiotic smoothie drink is so good and is 99% lactose-free and gluten-free. And in my research for butter alternatives there's Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks (which I really want to try out). They also make vegan mayo, spreads and shortening. I'm okay with butter for now but want to know my options for when my body decides to reject that too {that'll be a sad, sad day}. I think I should undertake dairy-free baking next. hhmm...I think I'm going to check out a few dairy-free cookbooks to make the transition to dairy-free easier. 

It's been shown that going dairy-free helps improve skin's appearance. If you have persistant blemishes it might help to go off dairy and see if your skin benefits from that. I know that alone is worth the attempt. Beauty is such a motivator! So ladies, I would love to know who's dairy-free and any advice you may have for me that is considering a completely dairy-free diet. Recipe's, dairy-free food blogs, tips, or shared wisdom is appreciated. Thanks lovelies!

Milk typography via A Word A Day | Milk photography via What Katie Ate

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...