HELLO

July 26, 2011

Recipe: Chai Spice + Mexican Chocolate Cookies


It's been a while since I've been near an oven, much to the fault of the crazy heat here in Northern California. Goodness do I miss an ocean breeze. Anyway, I digress. I've been chugging iced chai spice lattes like water lately and I got to thinking that if I could put that flavor into a cookie it would make me one happy lady. So I got started with my favorite chocolate chip cookie {link below} and added things and changed things to suit my palate. In the flurry of complete surrender to my taste buds I thought, why not add a taste  of one of my other favorite drinks? Mexican hot chocolate. It would be like a Mexican hot chocolate cookie! Oh, my; the rich spicy flavors, creamy texture and heavenly aroma... I was drooling already. So there I was, ready to make my chocolate-y, spice, cookie dough dreams come true- just me, the mixer and a handful of flavors. 



The base of this cookie is this recipe, which I've previously already blogged about. It rocks my world. I knew I couldn't go wrong so long as I used it as a starter. So here's my little creation, I hope it's tempting enough to consider turning on your oven in the Summer time. Recipe after the jump.

Chai Spice + Mexican Chocolate Cookie Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour {I used unbleached white whole wheat flour because that's all I had}
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
5 tsp. chai spice latte mix {I used my favorite from Trader Joe's}*
3-4 dashes of cinnamon + nutmeg {this is in case you're like me and like it extra flavorful}

 3/4 C. butter, melted
1 C. packed brown sugar
1/2 C. white sugar
1 tbl. vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
1/4 brick finely chopped Mexican Chocolate {I used Ibarra}

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 325 
 
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
 
- Sift together all dry ingredients, whisk and set aside {that's why I separated the ingredients on the list, to make it easier for you. I'm so thoughtful I know.}
 
- Cream the butter and sugars until very creamy and practically fluffy
 
- Add the vanilla {both kinds} + eggs, mix until well blended. The more you mix the better.
 
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients, mix well
 
- Roll into 1-1 1/2 inch balls and flatten slightly between your palms
 
-  Dust the tops of cookies with chopped chocolate. {I wish I would've added lots more chocolate to mine. There's always next time.}
 
- Convection bake: 8 minutes or Regular: 10-13 minutes

* Chai spice latte mix is powdered, you can also use Big Train chai, it's the same thing. TJ's is $2.99 versus BTC's at $8.95. If you don't have this and don't want to buy it just for the cookies {although you should, trust me, it's delicious} you can sub it with a mix of the following spices: 1 1/2 tsp. ground all spice, 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1 tsp. ground nutmeg, 1/2 tsp. ground ginger, 1/2 tsp. ground cloves.

2 comments:

Anna said...

These look and sound so yummy and your pictures are so pretty :o)

Arleene said...

thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...